Mr. Sherbir Panag
Sherbir Panag is a partner at the firm's Mumbai office and heads the Compliance & Investigations Practice.
Highly recommended by Chambers & Partners as a 'leading lawyer for white collar crime in the Asia Pacific' and by Legal 500 for 'dispute resolution', Sherbir consults companies and individuals on a variety of criminal compliance, white collar crime and dispute resolution matters. Over the course of his career, Sherbir has handled diverse mandates involving financial fraud, corruption, asset recovery, breach of trust, cross border disputes and debarment.
Sherbir regularly advises foreign companies on Indian anti-corruption laws, and challenges associated with the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), UK Bribery Act, in addition to other foreign legislations dealing with bribery of foreign public officials in India. Sherbir's compliance experience includes handling bribery / fraud / money laundering internal investigations in India, rolling out pan India compliance programs for companies, creating due diligence frameworks for third party management, conducting sector specific compliance training and providing general advice on compliance and white collar crime matters. Sherbir also writes as the India expert for the FCPA Professor.
Sherbir is also a global director of the Roxin Alliance (an international association of white collar crime lawyers) and is intrinsically involved with all projects of the Roxin Alliance including their anti-corruption and governance working group commitments to the World Bank GFLJD. Sherbir heads the Alliance's administrative sanctions practice group, which focuses on debarment and blacklisting of companies for criminal misconduct.
Accolades and Invitations:
- Member of the Deutsche Gesellschaft for Internationale Zusammenarbeit's (GIZ) Alliance For Integrity - Advisory Group for India.
- Member of the International Bar Association's anti-corruption expert group that made a submission on Australia's foreign bribery laws to the Australian Senate Economics Reference Committee.
- Designated the FCPA Professor's India Expert in November 2013.
- Recommended by Chambers and Partners as a 'Leading Lawyer for White Collar Crime' in the Asia Pacific for the year 2015 and 2016.
- Invited as an expert panellist to discuss the 'Business Case To Counter Corruption in India' on International Anti Corruption Day 2014, by the GIZ's Alliance For Integrity.
- Invited as a special invitee by the CSIS's Hills programme on Governance to a conference addressing the "The Role of the Securities and Exchange Commission in a Changing World" in Washington D.C., in May 2015.
- Invited as a guest speaker by the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania to address the FINRA (Financial Regulatory Authority) executive education programme on 'Cross Border Compliance Perspectives' in November 2014 and 2015.
- Invited for an 'invitation only' conference by the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania and the World Bank on 'The Commitment of International Organisations to Institutional Integrity' at Philadelphia, United States of America in July 2014.
- Invited for an 'invitation only' conference by the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania and the World Bank on 'SMEs and Global Integrity' at Washington D.C., United States of America in July 2014.
- Invited by the Rhine-Neckar Chamber of Commerce to speak on 'Legal Security in India' at Mannheim, Germany.
- Invited by the law firm ZIRNGIBL LANGWIESER to speak on 'Compliance challenges and best practices in India' at Munich, Germany.
- Navigating the gift, entertainment and hospitality landscape in India, published by the FCPA Professor
- Prevention of Corruption (Amendment) Bill 2013 - Impact on Commercial Organizations.
- Misconceptions About India's Anti-Corruption Framework, published by the FCPA Professor
- A focus on Indian pre-contract integrity pacts, published by the FCPA Professor
- Challenges of arbitration in India, published by the Corporate Disputes Magazine.
- Bail: Law, Trends & Judgments - published by Lex Witness
- Catching companies that bribe published by Business Standard
- India's Anti-Corruption Laws must take cues from its foreign counterparts, published by Legal Era
- The growing need for criminal compliance, published by Legal Era
- Defamation in the Indian Context, published by Legal Era
- Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881 - the law, leading judgments of 2012 and the lacunae, published by Legal Era
- Legal Developments in anti-corruption in India, published by the Criminal Law Section of the International Bar Association.
- Money Laundering (Amendment) Bill, 2011 - Comparative analysis with UK and German Laws, published by Lex Witness
Mentions in the press:
- Bar Council of Maharashtra & Goa - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- International Association of Penal Law - Member
- Bachelors of Business Administration & Bachelors of Law (BBA/LLB) - Symbiosis Law School, Pune
- Diploma in Arbitration, Conciliation and Alternative Dispute Resolution - Symbiosis Law School, Pune